The North Park Armoury was built in the late 1890s with an exterior based on a medieval castle and an advanced design for the time that provided a large interior space without columns and walls. A National Historic Site, the Armoury has played a significant role in Canadian defence and overseas operations, including serving as a regimental headquarters and transit centre for troops before departing for the Boer War, First World War and Second World War. In addition it has provided shelter for the homeless during emergencies including the Halifax Explosion in 1917 (which also damaged the building). The Armoury continues to serve as headquarters for several Army Reserve units and cadet corps as well as supporting civic events and activities. In 2017 plans were unveiled for a two-phase rehabilitation of the structure starting with deconstructing and rebuilding the west wall facing the Halifax Common; the second phase will rehabilitate the remainder of the structure and upgrade and renovate the interior to meet current operational requirements.