Grand Parade has been a focal point of civilian and military life since the city’s founding, including announcements by the town crier, mustering the military, band performances and other special occasions. At one end of the Grand Parade is City Hall (1890), a National Historic Site, and at the other end is St Paul’s Anglican Church (1749), the oldest Protestant church in Canada and a National Historic Site. The church is replete with plaques, regimental colours and related recognition commemorating church, military and political notables; below the church is a crypt. The church has welcomed numerous Royal personages over the years. The war memorial in the centre of Grand Parade was unveiled in 1929 to commemorate those who died during First World War; the sculpture on the Cenotaph depicts a victorious but grieving Britannia representing Nova Scotia’s mothers.