Located at the corner of present day Queen and South Streets, Fort Massey has been a military burial ground dating back to the 1750s. A fort with a blockhouse, barracks and magazine was built in the 1770s to protect part of the young settlement not covered (a blind spot) by the Citadel’s guns and several nearby batteries. Today, no part of the fortification remains except the site for the cemetery. The cemetery includes Commonwealth burials of the First and Second World Wars and Lieutenant General Sir John Harvey who distinguished himself in the War of 1812 (including the British victory at the Battle of Stoney Creek) and served as Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia 1846-1852. The cemetery is managed by Veterans Affairs Canada.