Devil’s Battery at Hartlen Point, Eastern Passage, NS, named after nearby Devil’s Island, was a major coastal defence installation constructed during the Second World War. It was built on the farthest eastern point of Halifax Harbour to counter any threat to the harbour by German warships and submarines. Manned by 53rd Heavy Battery of 1st (Halifax) Coast Regiment the site included three gun emplacements mounting 9.2 MK X armament with a range of 20 miles. Much of the battery was out of sight underground connected by a series of tunnels. Several three storey concrete observations posts were located in the area. Elkins Barracks was built nearby to provide quarters for soldiers serving at Hartlen Point and in 1941 A23 Coast and Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Centre was established to train coast and anti-aircraft gunners.
Following the end of hostilities and before ceasing operations in the 1950s, the site provided training support for Reserve units including the Halifax Rifles. Later the barracks was turned over for civilian use and served as a senior citizens residence. Today, the former battery and gun emplacements are surrounded by the Hartlen Point Forces Golf Course.Source: http://www.fortwiki.com/Devils_Point_Battery