The gun battery, part of the extensive Halifax Defence Complex, was built at Ferguson’s Cove near York Redoubt 1912-1916 and was operational during the latter part of the First World War. It was named in honor of and officially opened by the Duke of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria who was also Canada’s Governor General at the time.
Located on a 2.5 hectare site, the battery had a commanding view of the outer harbour. It included three 4.7 quick firing guns, barracks for a 70 man garrison drawn from the 1st (Halifax) Regiment, Canadian Garrison Artillery and was used to train troops before their deployment overseas. Following the end of hostilities the battery’s status was downgraded. During the Second World searchlights were operated at the site and it was used as temporary service quarters.
It was designated a National Historic Site and today serves as a municipal park.